Friday, March 13, 2009

Done deal

This morning the final decision was made to close the OB unit at BHMH, it will close in the end of May. I am disappointed with the outcome but I know that we gave it our best shot and I don't think there was any more that we could have done in the amount of time allotted. We accomplished a great deal in less than a month; we raised close to $170,000, raised community awareness, forged new friendships, all of which couldn't have been done without all of our friends and supporters in the community and those from beyond. I will cherish the memory of how we all pulled together to fight for what we believed in. Thank you all so much for everything.

2 comments:

  1. It's truely sad that the hope of yesterday was yanked out from today. Many people will now miss an amazing experience that would have stayed with them forever. It almost seems as if there were alterior motives from the beginning on the part of the administration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is sad. You are right about people missing an amazing experience. There are other great midwives around that work in hospitals and doing home births, so I know women will still get excellent and compassionate care. However losing BHMH as an option in women's choices is what saddens me the most, it sure is a special place with special people. At times I too wondered if admin had a hidden agenda, I don't believe that they do. They turned themselves inside out to figure out a solution. I think they are sincere, smart and caring people, who truly felt that they had no other choice. This is a symptom of a bigger national health care problem, OB units have been being shut down for years all around the country.

    ReplyDelete